Dean of Engineering Office
Carl A. Pollock Hall (CPH) 4301
519-888-4567 ext. 32718
The Faculty of Engineering Alumni Achievement Medal program has been established to recognize the accomplishments of Waterloo Engineering alumni.
This prestigious award, created in 1994, was established to provide tangible recognition of alumni who have distinguished themselves through their professional achievements, community service or academic excellence.
There are three Medal categories in which a graduate may be recognized:
a) Professional achievement - recognizes the accomplishments of Waterloo Engineering alumni in business, engineering/architecture/entrepreneurship, and/or management.
b) Community service - recognizes the accomplishments of Waterloo Engineering alumni in a lifetime of volunteer leadership and humanitarian endeavours.
c) Academic excellence - recognizes the accomplishments of Waterloo Engineering alumni in the pursuit of academic careers and research.
Medal nomination procedure
The Faculty of Engineering welcomes nominations for its Alumni Achievement Medal from anyone (alumni, students, faculty, staff, retirees, and members of the public) familiar with the work, character and/or achievements of a Waterloo Engineering alumni. The nominee must hold a UW Faculty of Engineering undergraduate and/or graduate degree(s) - this includes alumni with degrees from Architecture, CBET, and/or Engineering.
To nominate an individual for the Alumni Achievement Medal, an online nomination form must be completed and submitted by the deadline of April 30. If the nominee is chosen to continue to the next level of the nomination process, Engineering Alumni Affairs will then contact the nominator and request supporting documentation for the nomination which includes at least two recommendation letters (from other than family members) and any other relevant supporting information such as biographies, CV's, media releases, etc.
Medal selection procedure
- Call for nominations continues throughout the year. Friends, family, colleagues, faculty members and other alumni may nominate alumni candidates.
- All nominations will be reviewed by the Nominations Committee, which consists of three Engineering alumni, one Engineering faculty member and the Alumni Officer, Engineering.
- The Nominations Committee will select five of the nominated alumni for consideration by the Selection Committee.
- The Selection Committee, which consists of an alumni from Waterloo Region, an alumni from outside of Waterloo Region, Chair of the Engineering Faculty Council and the Dean of Engineering, will review the nominations and select up to three Alumni Achievement Medal winners.
- Alumni Achievement Medal winners will be notified by the Dean of Engineering through a telephone call and letter.
- Alumni nominated by the Nominations Committee but not chosen by the Selection Committee will remain in a nomination pool for consideration in subsequent years.
- The Faculty of Engineering Alumni Achievement Medal is awarded at the annual Dean of Engineering Dinner, held each fall.
All nominations must be received by April 30. Nominations received after April 30 will be considered in the following year.
For further information about the Medal program or nominations, please contact the Senior Alumni Officer for Engineering via email.