The Faculty of Engineering Alumni Achievement Medal program has been established to recognize the accomplishments of Waterloo Engineering alumni.
The Team Alumni Achievement Medal, created in 2005, was established to provide tangible recognition of a group of Waterloo Engineering alumni (as opposed to one individual) who have distinguished themselves through their professional achievements, community service, or academic excellence.
The award will examine the accomplishments of the group based on the following criteria:
- Business, engineering/architecture/entrepreneurship, and/or management accomplishments
- Volunteer leadership and humanitarian endeavours
- Accomplishments in the pursuit of academic careers and research
This award will allow the Faculty of Engineering to recognize a group of Waterloo Engineering alumni and to reward teams that achieve great things in the community and in their careers. A group consists of two or more people.
Medal nomination procedure
The Faculty of Engineering welcomes nominations for its Team Alumni Achievement Medal from anyone (alumni, students, faculty, staff, retiress, and members of the public) familiar with the work, character and/or achievements of a team of Waterloo Engineering alumni. The nominees in the team must hold a UW Faculty of Engineering undergraduate and/or graduate degree(s) - this includes alumni with degrees from Architecture, CBET, and/or Engineering.
To nominate a team of individuals or an organization for the Team Alumni Achievement Medal, an online nomination form must be completed and submitted by the deadline of April 30. If the nominee is chosen to continue to the next level of the nomination process, Engineering Alumni Affairs will then contact the nominator and request supporting documentation for the nomination which includes at least two recommendation letters (from other than family members) and any other relevant supporting information such as biographies, CV's, media releases, etc.
Medal selection procedure
- Call for nominations continues throughout the year. Friends, family, colleagues, faculty members and other alumni may nominate alumni candidates.
- All nominations will be reviewed by the Nominations Committee, which consists of three Engineering alumni, one Engineering faculty member and the Alumni Officer, Engineering.
- The Nominations Committee will select up to three of the nominated alumni teams for consideration by the Selection Committee.
- The Selection Committee, which consists of an alumni from Waterloo Region, an alumni from outside of Waterloo Region, Chair of the Engineering Faculty Council and the Dean of Engineering, will review the nominations and select one Alumni Team Achievement Medal winner.
- The Team Alumni Achievement Medal winner will be notified by the Dean of Engineering through a telephone call and letter.
- Alumni teams nominated by the Nominations Committee but not chosen by the Selection Committee will remain in a nomination pool for consideration in subsequent years for a maximum of three (3) years.
- The Faculty of Engineering Team Alumni Achievement Medal is awarded at the annual Faculty of Engineering Awards Dinner, held each fall.
All nominations must be received by April 30. Nominations received after April 30 will be considered in the following year.
For further information about the Medal program or nominations, please contact the Senior Alumni Officer for Engineering via email.