You are about to join a prestigious network of more than 200,000 University of Waterloo alumni around the world. Receiving your degree is one of the most exciting moments in your undergraduate career. Read more below to get to know all things convocation and make sure you're prepared to graduate.
Before you graduate
Program & Administrative requirements
- Verify your degree requirements.
Submit an Application to Graduate Form:
- Deadlines can be found on the Registar's Office website.
- All students must apply to graduate or their degree will not be awarded.
- Form can be filled out and submitted online.
- Visit the Registrar's Office Convocation page and ensure you have completed all required steps.
Other things to consider before you graduate
Appointments are booked online at New School Photography. Grad photos are taken in the Spring and Fall terms leading up to your graduation year. Please visit New School Photography’s website for appointment times. Questions can be directed to Joseph at email@example.com or Mary Bland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Getting your Iron Ring
Near the end of their final year, engineering undergraduate students are invited to attend the "Ritual of the Calling of the Engineer" by the Iron Ring Wardens of Camp 15 - Waterloo.
Find out when your Iron Ring ceremony is scheduled.
Order your diploma and/or portrait frame
Display your degree or portrait in a University of Waterloo frame. Order your frame in advance of convocation through Alumni Relations either online or purchase it on the day of your ceremony in the Multi-Purpose Room of the Student Life Centre. Pre-ordered frames can be picked up in the Multi-Purpose Room in the Student Life Centre on the day of your ceremony.
Plan for convocation
Held twice a year, each spring and fall Convocation is administered by the Registrar's Office. Details are available on the Convocation and graduation web page.
All graduating students and their guests are invited to a reception with refreshments following each convocation ceremony. Yearbooks can be picked up at the reception during spring Convocation.
Take advantages of these services
Looking for work?
- Connect with your fellow engineering alumni over coffee on the Waterloo Engineering Hub (powered by Ten Thousand Coffees) for career advice and advancement.
Join the Waterloo Engineering alumni group on LinkedIn to grow your alumni network and look for career opportunities.
- Book a session with an Alumni Career Advisor
- Each grad is entitled to three free sessions either in person or over the phone. Get help with your resume, interview skills, career direction and much more.
- Note: As a student, you are entitled to unlimited sessions with a career advisor. Book an appointment to take advantage of this valuable resource before you graduate!
- Join the Alumni E-Community to access Alumni WaterlooWorks to search for jobs.
If you have received OSAP during your studies, you are responsible for beginning to repay your loan six months after you have stopped being a full-time post-secondary student. You are also responsible for contacting the National Student Loans Service Centre and/or financial institution for repayment arrangements. Visit the OSAP website for more information.
Consider professional registration
Stay in touch!
- Keep your contact information current with the University of Waterloo to ensure you receive invitations to networking events in the area where you live/work. Update your address whenever you move or change jobs.
Connect with the Faculty of Engineering's alumni officer on LinkedIn.
- Join the Waterloo Engineering Alumni LinkedIn Group.
- Join the Waterloo Engineering Hub (powered by Ten Thousand Coffees) to connect with your fellow engineering alumni over coffee for career advice and advancement.
- We love to hear from alumni doing exciting things and often feature stories about our grads in eWEAL, WEAL or on our website. Send your news to Gosia Brestovacki.
- Subscribe to newsletters.
- Attend Waterloo Engineering events.
- Connect with your local alumni chapter.
- Take advantage of the benefits of being an alumnus
- Stay connected with us on social media.