First year engineering and architecture sets a learning foundation to support you throughout your undergrad years and prepares you for a successful career. But it is not all work. It's also a great time for making life-long friends (and maybe future business partners!), learning the ropes of being a university student and gaining new independence.
Engineering 101 covers anything you may need to know about what your university experience may look like.
In year 1, all students take 5-6 courses per term, mostly based in maths and sciences, along with a concepts course focused on giving you exposure to learning in your field of study.
You will be automatically enrolled in all of your Fall term courses. View your full class schedule on Quest, starting July 17.
First Year Office Guide
The First Year Office is here to help you manage the transition from High School and home to a new and exciting learning environment at the university.
Courses and work load
Withdrawals, transfers, petitions, and issues
Not sure where to find something? Need to connect with an academic advisor? Need personal support? Want to understand more about co-op? Every engineering and architecture student has a first-year office that has the resources to support you in every way.
- Engineering First-Year Office, for all first-year engineering students, except Systems Design Engineering, Software Engineering, and Architecture (see below).
- Located in the Engineering Undergraduate Office, Engineering 2 (E2) 1772, 519-888-4761.
- Systems Design Engineering Undergraduate Office, for all students enrolled in Systems Design Engineering.
- Located in Engineering 5 (E5) 6126, 519-888-4567, ext.36085
- Software Engineering Undergraduate Office, for all students enrolled in Software Engineering.
- Located in William G. Davis Centre (DC) 2597, 519-888-4567, ext.32184
- Architecture Undergraduate Office, for all students enrolled in Architecture.
- Located in the main office, 2nd floor of the School of Architecture, 519-888-4567, ext.27604
* Please note that we have a new Women in Engineering Living Learning Community that launched September 2017!