You are here


In an increasingly globalized world, we're making an extreme effort to provide Waterloo Engineering students and faculty the best opportunities to connect with our international partners.

Through international exchange, co-op terms abroad and new dual degree graduate programs, we're providing students the ability to expand their knowledge and network while fulfilling their degree requirements. 

Consider the following options to learn more about our international connections:

Whether you are attending the University of Waterloo as a visitor, on exchange, or enrolled as a degree seeking student, please share your favourite places in the Waterloo Region by completing a short survey. It is our hope that your answers to the questions in the survey will help others become more acquainted with all Waterloo has to offer.

Student international exchange 

We partner with more than 80 universities to offer the most rewarding exchange opportunities for engineering students. Click on the map to see all exchange opportunities.

Map of exchange opportunities for Waterloo Engineering students.

Go on exchange  Come to Waterloo on Exchange

Questions about international exchange? Please contact the Faculty of Engineering Exchange Office.

Dual degree programs

Dual degree programs provide an opportunity for Canadian and Permanent Resident (CPR) students to enjoy the benefits of a Waterloo Engineering doctoral program combined with another leading Engineering school. We are currently working with several international universities to offer programming at the PhD level.

Dual PhD degrees (Cotutelle) are issued when one doctoral dissertation is used to fulfil the requirements for a doctorate in two different universities in two different countries.

Institutions with whom University of Waterloo students and faculty members have partnered in cotutelle include: Université de Bordeaux, France, Utrecht, Netherlands, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile and Sharif University of Technology, Iran. 

Visiting international delegations

If you would like to book a visit with a specific department or research centre in Engineering, please complete a Delegation Visit Request form, or contact the Engineering International Office.