Explore Beethoven to Bieber, solos to software
Study music in a program that offers you the flexibility to pursue your passions. At Waterloo, we offer instruction in more than 20 instruments, as well as vocal lessons. But that’s just the beginning.
Balance your study of performance, music theory, and music history with classes on the relationship between music and technology, gender, and peace. Unpack the psychology of music, or delve into pop, jazz, opera, film scores, and more.
Whether you’re aiming for a career as a performer, composer, teacher, recording technician, or music software developer, this program gives you the building blocks you need, and you can even orchestrate some experience before you graduate by enrolling in the co-op stream.
- Create friendships for life. Join the Living-Learning Community at Conrad Grebel where you’ll live with other Music students, make lasting friendships, and get support from upper-year peer leaders. A residence application is required.
- Study in Bali and beyond. Grab your passport! Experience concerts, festivals, and the rich cultural life of countries from Bali to the Baltics with a music & culture travel course.
- Available as a regular or co-op program
- Available as a major and minor
- Graduate with a Bachelor of Arts in Music
- Offered by the Faculty of Arts
What will you learn?
During your first year, you'll take four introductory Music courses. Plus, you'll have electives to explore an additional major of your choosing.
In upper years, 40% of the classes you'll take will be Music courses.
Learn about courses you'll take for your Music degree.
Customize your degree
You can add additional areas of expertise to your degree by including one or more of the areas of focus in Music.
- Music and Peace
- Music in a Global Context
- Church Music and Worship
You can also include one of the minors available to all Waterloo students. Popular areas of focus for Music students include Church and Worship Music and Intensive Music Specialization.
Get tips from Waterloo students
Join our newsletter for tips such as choosing a program, life at Waterloo, and finances.
Contact a student ambassador
Ask a Faculty of Arts student about their program, classes, getting involved on campus, and more!
Co-op = relevant paid work experience
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- Music instructor
- Business improvement analyst
- Teaching assistant
- Guidance / at-risk support assistant
- Senior business systems analyst
Sample co-op employers
- Toronto District School Board
- Nature Conservancy of Canada
- BMW Group Canada
- Ontario Ministry of Government Services
What can you do with a music degree?
Waterloo Music graduates often pursue careers in music, teaching, and marketing. They often work in arts schools, entertainment companies, and theatres.
- Teacher – Waterloo Region District School Board
- Assistant Concert Manager – Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra & Chamber Choir
- Community Manager – Treehaus Collaborative Workspace
- Manager, Client Success – Smile.io
- Manager of Artistic Operations - Living Arts Centre
- Music Therapist - St. Mary’s Hospital
Ontario students: six Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Any Grade 12 U English (minimum final grade of at least 70%)
Admission average: Low 80s (co-op and regular)
Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements.
How to apply
Auditions are required if you would like to choose Music as your major, take studio courses, or apply for specific music entrance scholarships. Entrance scholarship auditions take place in February and March.
Connect with us
Questions about courses, programs, requirements, careers?
Please contact Sam Boehmer, our Faculty of Arts recruitment coordinator who can answer any questions you have.