Each year, Waterloo Engineering recognizes Faculty members for their outstanding contributions and unwavering dedication to education and research.
The recipients of the Faculty's four faculty and staff awards were recently announced by Mary Wells, dean of engineering, and celebrated virtually.
The Outstanding Staff Performance Awards recognize staff members for their commitment to providing exceptional support in one of two categories – technical and administrative. The award recipients are:
- Dennis Herman of chemical engineering (awarded in the technical staff category)
- Chris Rennick of the Faculty’s IDEAs Clinic™ (awarded in the technical staff category)
- Wendy Fleming of management sciences (awarded in the administrative staff category)
- Colleen Mechler of chemical engineering (awarded in the administrative staff category)
The Faculty’s Teaching Excellence Award honours outstanding teaching and commitment to the enrichment of Waterloo Engineering education. For the first time, an instructor from outside of Faculty who teaches engineering students was recognized with an award. The three recipients include:
- Eline Boghaert of chemical engineering
- Jordan Hamilton of mathematics
- Peter Teertstra of mechanical and mechatronics engineering
The Engineering Research Excellence Award honours outstanding research accomplishments, innovative ideas and dedication to the Faculty’s research. The award honorees are:
- Michael Pope of chemical engineering (awarded in the assistant professor category)
- Jeff Gostick of chemical engineering (awarded in the associate professor category)
- Robert Jan van Pelt of architecture (awarded in the full professor category)
The Excellence in Graduate Supervision Award recognizes faculty members with an exemplary record of excellence in the supervision, training and mentoring of graduate students. The recipients are:
- Hassan Baaj of civil and environmental engineering
- Carolyn Ren of mechanical and mechatronics engineering
- Zhou Wang of electrical and computer engineering
Congratulations to all faculty and staff award recipients!