Petitions are written requests for exceptions to the Examinations and Promotions Academic Decisions and Rules in the Faculty of Engineering due to special circumstances. Common adjustment issues such as "I used the poor work habits of high school and made adjustments too late in the term" or "I made poor choices throughout the term" are not treated as significant. 

It requires the submission of a Petition for Exception to Academic Regulations (Form 70A) and supporting documentation. The Secretariat website has information on Policy 70 - Student Petitions and Grievances.

What can I petition? (Jurisdiction of the Examinations and Promotion Committee)

How do I complete the petition form?

Students petitioning in the Faculty of Engineering should complete the entire petition form, and upload relevant documentation. Follow all instructions outlined on the form.

What information and documentation should I include in my petition?

It is important to include documentation to supplement your petition. The committee gives greater weight to documentation prepared and/or provided by professionals.

  • Death certificate or obituary (if petition relates to death)
  • Your medical documentation
  • Police reports
  • Other personal supporting documents where relevant


  1. If documents are not in English or French, provide official translation completed by a certified translator.
  2. Scanned copies or photos of documentation are not accepted; they must be accurate, legible reproductions.
  3. Do not upload medical documents or other documentation that pertains to a third party. Instead, provide documentation outlining how their illness or extenuating circumstances affected you. Contact for further direction.

How does the petition process work?

As stated in the Undergraduate Studies Academic Calendar under Petitions, Grievances and Appealspetitions do not challenge the fairness of their academic evaluation or the rules and regulations of the Faculty of Engineering. It is a written request for special consideration, complete with supporting documentation to verify extenuating circumstances.

Petitions in the Faculty of Engineering are normally reviewed by the Examinations and Promotions Committee at one of three petition meetings held each term.

The Examinations and Promotions (E and P) Committee consists of the E & P Chair and 16 voting members, one from each of the following groups:

  • Architecture
  • Chemical Engineering
  • Architectural, Civil, Environmental, and Geological Engineering
  • Computer Engineering
  • Electrical Engineering
  • First Year Engineering
  • Management Engineering
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Mechatronics Engineering
  • Nanotechnology Engineering
  • Software Engineering
  • Systems Design Engineering
  • Co-operative Education
  • Professional Development program (WatPD)
  • Engineering Counselling
  • Engineering Society (president that is on-campus at the time of the meeting)

And administrators from the Registrar's Office:

  • Assistant Registrar, Records Operations
  • E and P Secretary, Records Supervisor, Engineering

The E and P Committee member from your academic department (or the Co-op member for work term issues) summarizes and presents your petition to the E and P Committee, both orally and in writing. In addition to summarizing a student's petition, the E and P member from your department will present a summary of your academic history and relevant circumstances as recorded in your student file.

After the presentation and discussion of your petition, any voting member may make a motion to change your academic decision or status. Another voting member must then second the motion for it to be considered for a vote. The E and P Committee would then further discuss any remaining issues and then the voting members would vote. The motion would pass if the number of votes in favour of the motion is greater than those against (excluding abstaining votes). In the event of a tie, the E and P Committee Chair decides the outcome of the motion.

All members of the E and P Committee are bound by rules of confidentiality and are obligated to declare their biases when reviewing and judging petitions.

Who should I consult regarding my petition preparation? Can I meet/contact all members of the committee?

You should only consult the following people:

  • Your academic advisor
  • The E and P Committee member for your plan and level (often same as academic advisor)
  • The ENGSOC president
  • One of the Engineering Counsellors
  • If the petition involves a co-op term, your co-op advisor

Attempts to contact all members of the E and P Committee are regarded as attempts to coerce the committee outside of the petition meeting. Each member has the opportunity to review your petition during the petition meeting.

When are petitions due, reviewed and the results known?

Petitions are accepted on an ongoing basis and reviewed at one of the three meetings in a term. Official notification is sent to your email from the Assistant Registrar within one week of a scheduled petition meeting.

I am concerned about the presentation of my petition. What should I do? Who should I contact?

Students who are concerned about the presentation of their petition, may contact to express their concerns. It may be possible for the ENGSOC president or an engineering counsellor to take a lead role in presenting the petition. It is the E and P Chair's duty to ensure that a student's petition is presented fairly and consistently as compared to the committee's common practice.

Can I be present during the petition meeting?

Students can not be present at the petition meeting. The E and P Committee deliberates in private. Students are expected to clearly communicate their case using written documentation. Sometimes students will request an Engineering Counsellor to supplement their written documentation by presenting personal data on their behalf to the E and P Committee.

Can I appeal a petition? Can I re-petition?

Students can not appeal a petition. As stated in the Undergraduate Studies Academic Calendar under Petitions, Grievances and Appeals, "Since a Petition for Exception to Academic Regulations does not dispute an academic evaluation or application of the rules and regulations of the University, the decision of the Examinations and Promotions Committee with regard to petitions is final; there is no appeal of an unsuccessful petition."

It may be possible for students to re-petition if new information and/or documentation is presented. Please contact your academic advisor to discuss this possibility.

Academic grievance

I believe I have been unfairly evaluated in a course. How can I resolve this?

  • Informal resolution with your instructor by verifying the calculation of your grade and viewing your final exam (mark verification). You must attempt this within one month after your grade became official.
  • If you cannot informally resolve the issue, you can file a Notice of Reassessment Challenge (see Form 70C) to the Chair of the department hosting the course.