Follow these procedures for biological, chemical and radioactive materials:
Prior to working with hazardous materials:
Determine spill procedures from Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for all chemicals.
- All University of Waterloo (UW) employees and students handling hazardous materials are required to be trained in spill procedures.
- Obtain proper spill kits and clean up equipment. These are available from Chemistry Stores in Earth Sciences and Chemistry (ESC) 109.
Small spills that pose no immediate threat to health:
- Notify occupants in the immediate area of the spill.
- Use spill kits to absorb and contain according to spill procedure.
- Place material in a secure and ventilated area.
- Contact Environmental Safety Facility at Ext. 35755 for disposal instructions.
Large spills or spills that pose an immediate threat to health:
- Remove sources of ignition if possible.
- Evacuate immediate area.
- Call UW POLICE ext. 519-888-4911 or ext. 22222.
Your lab's spills plan should follow the University's Hazardous Waste Standard.