Follow these procedures for biological, chemical and radioactive materials.
Prior to working with hazardous materials:
Determine spill procedures from Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for all chemicals.
- All University of Waterloo (UW) employees and students handling hazardous materials are required to be trained in spill procedures.
- Obtain proper spill kits and clean up equipment. These are available from Chemistry Stores in Earth Sciences and Chemistry (ESC) 109.
Small spills that pose no immediate threat to health:
- Notify occupants in the immediate area of the spill.
- Use spill kits to absorb and contain according to spill procedure.
- Place material in a secure and ventilated area.
- Contact Safety Office at ext. 35755 for disposal instructions.
Large spills or spills that pose an immediate threat to health:
- Remove sources of ignition if possible.
- Evacuate immediate area.
- Call UW POLICE ext. 519-888-4911 or ext. 22222.
Contact UW Safety Office ext. 35755 with any questions or for assistance.
All chemical, biological and radioactive wastes are to be disposed of at the Environmental safety facility located on the first floor of ESC, room 150. Materials may be delivered to the facility Monday to Friday from 11:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. or a pickup may be arranged by calling ext. 35755.
University policy requires compliance with environmental regulations.
Do not put any hazardous materials in the regular garbage or into the drains.
Areas in which hazardous materials are present must display UW's Hazardous materials spill (PDF) poster.