Work with lasers can be hazardous if proper precautions are not taken. The Laser Safety Program outlines the responsibilities of those working with lasers; and the procedures and controls that must be implemented before starting the work. This program ensures that risks to those working with or near lasers is minimized.
See the Laser Safety Program for more information.
The Laser Safety Program is a permit-based program. Before working with a class 3b or 4 laser, a laser permit is required.
Follow these steps to obtain a permit:
- Apply for a laser permit - Contact one of UW's Laser Safety Officers to obtain a laser permit.
- Add a laser to UW's laser inventory
- Add laser workers to your permit - laser workers must complete the online training Laser Safety Training Theory and be trained by their supervisor on the SOPs for the laser before they can be added to the permit. Laser workers who are not on a permit are not permitted to work with the laser.
You must complete the following online and practical training:
Hands on training developed and provided by the laboratory supervisor. This practical training consists of the following components:
- Laser operation as described in the manufacturers laser operation manual
- Specific hazards
- Standard operating procedures (SOP)