Follow these procedures for spills involving biological, chemical, and radioactive materials.
Prior to working with hazardous materials:
For all chemicals, use safety data sheets (SDS) to determine the proper spill procedure.
- All University employees and students handling hazardous materials must be trained in spill procedures.
- Obtain proper spill kits and clean up equipment. These are available from Chemistry Stores in Earth Sciences and Chemistry (ESC) 109.
Small spills that pose no immediate threat to health:
- Notify occupants in the immediate area of the spill.
- Use spill kits to absorb and contain according to spill procedures.
- Place material in a secure and ventilated area.
- Contact the Environmental Safety Facility at ext. 35755 for disposal instructions.
Large spills or spills that pose an immediate threat to health:
- Remove sources of ignition if possible.
- Evacuate the immediate area.
- Call UW Police (ext. 519-888-4911 or ext. 22222).
Lab spill plans should follow the University's Hazardous Waste Standard.