The X-Ray Safety Program establishes a set of requirements for those working with X-ray devices at the University of Waterloo.
Those working with X-rays at the University must complete the following:
- X-ray Safety (SO1011)
- An online training module that outlines the basic principles of working safely with x-ray devices
- Laboratory specific x-ray safety practical (provided by PI)
- Details of practical are provided in the X-ray Safety Program
- Review and submission of the Information Memo to X-ray Workers to the x-ray safety officer
Permit holders and their lab managers may confirm their approved workers on the Permit Sharepoint site.
Regulations and codes
- Occupational Health & Safety Act, X-ray Safety Regulation
- Radiation Emitting Devices Act
- Safety Code 35. Safety Procedures for Installation, Use and Control of the X-ray Equipment in Large Medical Radiological Facilities, 2008, 43 p
- Safety Code 26. Guidelines on Exposure to Electromagnetic Fields from Magnetic Resonance Clinical Systems, 1987, 20 p
- Safety Code 28. Radiation Protection in Veterinary Medicine, 1991, 38 p