This page provides more information on chemical inventories and SDS management at the University of Waterloo.
Get the mobile app:
Risk and Safety Solutions is also available on mobile. Search "RSS Chemicals" in your mobile app store to download. Log in using your WATIAM.
The University of Waterloo uses a university-wide chemical inventory system provided by Risk and Safety Solutions. Chemical inventories must be maintained and verified annually (at least).
All labs with chemicals are required to have an inventory. If you have a new lab or have not yet created an inventory, use the button above to book a part 1 meeting to get started.
Inventories help with:
- Inventory control
- SDS compliance through linking most inventory items to SDS database
- Regulatory reporting on chemical quantities (such as the Chemical Weapons Implementation Act).
- Hazard recognition (e.g., peroxide formers can be easily identified and status tracked)
Laboratory Supervisors, Directors, or Managers
Ensure laboratory inventory is up to date and current SDSs are available
Provide SDS log-in/access to all workers
Regularly inspect chemicals for as per safety and storage requirements
- Maintain this page
- Provide administrative support of the inventory system
- Create manuals and templates for facilitation of the use of the inventory system
The following templates and manuals will help you navigate and use the chemical inventory system. Please open the appropriate links below to continue:
- RSS and Peroxide Formers
- RSS Inventory Resources and How To Guides (SharePoint)
- How to Add or Edit Chemicals
- Adding or Removing Lab Members or Rooms
- How to RFID Labs
- How to Search Inventory
- How to Certify Inventory
- Book a meeting with the Safety Office
- Evaluating Label Pictograms