An effective incident management program ensures that occupational incidents, including near misses, are reported and investigated in a timely and effective manner, with corrective actions identified, implemented and monitored to prevent recurrence and to ensure legislative compliance.
The University’s objective in conducting incident investigations is to:
- Evaluate the severity of the problem and the potential for recurrence.
- Determine all causal conditions and practices contributing to incidents.
- Communicate information pertaining to the cause of the incident, preventive and corrective control measures.
- Analyze trends for the development of appropriate loss control methods, procedures, and programs.
- Identify hazards in the workplace and apply appropriate controls.
Review the University of Waterloo's Incident Management Program for more information.
All Supervisors and Health and Safety Coordinators should take the Incident Investigation classroom training session.