Waterloo Engineering's Ambassador team is a group of trained undergraduate student leaders offering prospective students a personal, informational, and engaging connection to Waterloo Engineering. The ambassadors have a personal impact on our future students, informing their decision-making by sharing their experiences and knowledge as current students.
Ambassadors represent their program and other on-campus associations (like student design teams and EngSoc) for a minimum of one term, with the option to continue as they are able.
- Must be a current Waterloo Engineering undergraduate student.
- A friendly, helpful and positive attitude
- Commitment to the advancement of Waterloo Engineering’s aspiration to attract outstanding students (leaders in service, academics, social justice, entrepreneurship, etc.)
- An understanding of the responsibility of the role you are undertaking (for example, considering your online persona and what it says about you)
- A passion for, and knowledge of, Waterloo Engineering!
Attend mandatory training, or make alternate arrangements if unavailable for the training session(s).
- Be part of an enthusiastic team. Engineering Ambassadors form a close-knit group who meet every term for team building activities.
- Get to know Engineering faculty and staff. At recruitment events, meet and connect with your profs and others connected with the faculty and the university.
- Share your passion. Showcase your pride for engineering, your program, and the University of Waterloo and help future students make one of the most important decisions of their lives.
- Make a difference. Do you remember how stressful the application process was? You can be the support a prospective student needs to make the right decision for them!
- Be a featured student. Ambassadors are the only students chosen to represent Engineering in printed materials including the brochure, and the Engineering websites.
- Resume booster. Develop communication, public speaking, and teamwork skills to add to your resume!
- Possible letters of reference for outstanding work. If you're a dedicated ambassador, we would love to give you a letter of reference signed by Dean of Engineering, Mary Wells.
- Free swag and food. Receive exclusive swag for your dedication to our ambassador team, and participate in team social events with free food!
**Please note that as of September 1, 2023, Engineering ambassadors will not receive monetary compensation.
The Ambassador Team is supported by, and accountable to, Engineering's Undergraduate Recruitment Coordinator and the Engineering Ambassador Directors.
Ready to join our team?
As an Engineering Ambassador, you will:
- Gain valuable leadership experience.
- Be the “face” of Waterloo's Faculty of Engineering and your program for prospective students. You will do this by:
- Participating in on- and off-campus recruitment events as a general volunteer, tour guide, or student panel member (for example, Ontario Universities’ Fair, Fall Open House, March Open House, and You @ Waterloo Day)
- Being available to prospective students for a few hours throughout the term – providing them with tours, allowing them to shadow you on a school day, connecting with them via email and video calls.
- Assisting with additional recruitment initiatives such as summer camp presentations, visits to high schools, Women in Engineering events, etc.
- Be a positive role model for prospective students, representing the high-quality leaders that the Faculty of Engineering attracts.
- Participate in training and team building.
- Have fun connecting with prospective students – being honest and sharing your experiences.
Other opportunities in which you may wish to participate:
Give feedback on marketing pieces (web, video, apparel and swag, and print materials) to support recruitment strategies.
Testing recruitment tactics.
Anything else that you think you can offer to the team that will help prospective students make informed choices and feel connected and supported.