To be selected for the privilege to participate in an engineering exchange program, you must be in "overall good standing". There are NO exceptions to these rules. However, your home department undergraduate chair or exchange coordinator has the ultimate approval. You must also maintain your good standing in all terms leading up to your exchange. Otherwise, support for your exchange could be withdrawn and your exchange cancelled.
- Successful completion of at least your 2B academic term before departure
- Rank among the top half of your class or have a Waterloo Engineering minimum overall average of 70% with no failed courses; however,
- a minimum overall average of 80% is required for students in architecture, biomedical, computer, electrical, management, mechanical, mechatronics, nanotechnology, and systems design.
- Be "in good standing" with regard to work terms
- Any failed courses must be cleared before exchange
- Have completed PD (Professional Development) courses to date, with no more than one failure
- If the language of instruction, or courses offered at the partner institution are in English, no language preparation is required. However, if the language of instruction at the partner institution is NOT English, sufficient language preparation must be undertaken which usually consists of two university-level courses, or equivalent. All students are strongly encouraged to participate in the intensive language courses offered at the host institutions before lectures begin, even if they are taking courses in English only.