Hi! We're so glad that you will be part of the Grebel community in the coming term!
We are already quite busy preparing. Some important information is ready for you to read below so bookmark this page to have this information readily at hand. If questions arise, please e-mail Pam Bartel, Administrative Assistant of Student Services, who is happy to provide answers!
Enjoy the rest of this year and we'll see you in the new year!
Mary Brubaker-Zehr, Director of Student Services
Winter move-in day for residents and apartment dwellers
The residence will open on Saturday, January 9.
- 9:00am - move in for select student leaders
- 2:00pm - move in for first year residents who were not here in Fall 2020
- 4:00pm - move in for all upper year residents and first year residents who were here in Fall 2020
The apartments will be available for move-in after 2pm on January 4. Schedule a move-in time by texting the on don phone (226-220-1054).
Letters (containing important information!) (LETTERS REVISED NOVEMBER 23, 2020)
Winter arrival for off campus associates
Information about on-site events for off-campus associates will be available closer to the start of term.
Tips for living in residence at Grebel
Here are a few tips as you begin thinking about what to pack for the winter! For more information please also refer to the Student Handbook.
- Each shared room contains 2 desks, 2 desk chairs, 2 single beds (in some rooms, permanent bunks) and two wardrobes. Drapes are provided for each room.
- There may be a few clothes hangers in your closet.
- TIP: Bring more clothes hangers
- The College has two rooms that are called ‘quads’. The quads are 2 adjoining bedrooms which house 4 students each(2 students in Winter 2021). If there is a reason you do not want to be housed in the quad, please email your reason to Mary Brubaker-Zehr.
- If you choose to use college linens, one sheet, a pillowcase and a wool blanket are provided for you by the College. YOU WILL NEED TO BRING YOUR OWN PILLOW.
TIP: There is a slight variance in Grebel bed lengths. Thus, it is advisable to put off buying fitted sheets until after you move in, or buy an extra long sheet which will fit any of our beds.
- Bikes may be stored in our indoor bike storage room. Fill in the optional services form to access this service. Bikes are not permitted in the residence building. Space limitations require no more than one bike per person.
- TIP: You are advised not to bring an extremely expensive bike
- Hockey equipment may be stored in a hockey storage room located in the apartment building. Fill in the optional services form to access this service.
- Food preparation and cooking appliances are not permitted with the exception of hot air popcorn poppers, small coffee makers (no more than 1000 watts) and kettles. Microwaves and toasters are not allowed.
- There is a student lounge on the 3rd and 4th floor, each with a TV, DVD player and refrigerator. Small refrigerators (no larger than 1000 watts or 5 cubic feet) are permitted in residence rooms.
- There is a games room and lounge with a workout area, foosball, pool table and ping pong table on the 2nd floor. Mailboxes are located in the lounge area.
- There are private practice rooms across the hall from the games room where you may play your musical instruments. While you are encouraged to bring your musical instruments to residence, loud musical instruments such as trumpets, drums or electric guitars should be practiced in areas designed for this purpose (music practice rooms). You may play your electric instruments in your residence room if you use headphones.
- There is a laundry room located beside the games room with washers and dryers. This room is also equipped with a wash tub and ironing board and irons. It is available 24 hours a day.
- TIP: High efficiency detergent is required for these machines. They are accessed with a laundry card which may be loaded using a debit or credit card at any time, including move-in day.
- Each room has been wired for high speed access to the UW Computer Network and the wireless network is available throughout the residence building.
- TIP: The new resnet does not accommodate wireless routers for things like printers, etc. Wireless routers will interfere with the new system so please bring the hardware you need for your electronic equipment.
Frost Week Schedule
Will be posted when available.