(519) 885-0220 ext. 24241
Office: CGUC 2112
BTh, Canadian Mennonite Bible College, 1983
BA, University of Manitoba, 1983
MA, University of St. Michael’s College, 1987
PhD, University of St. Michael’s College, 1999
Clinical Pastoral Education
1 unit Chedoke-McMaster Hospitals, Hamilton, ON, 2001
3 units, St Joseph’s Hospital, Hamilton, ON 2001-2002
Practical Theology, Feminist Theology, Pastoral Theology
TS 678 – The Minister in the Church, Seminar I
TS 679 – The Minister in the Church, Seminar II
TS 681 – Personal Spirituality
TS 684 – Pastoral Care
TS 690 – Special Topics in Theological Studies: Theology in Everyday Life
TS 751 – Worship Ritual and Ministry
TS 783 – Integration Seminar
Carol Penner (she/her) teaches and writes in the area of practical theology and after many years as a pastor in various Mennonite congregations, she joined the faculty at Grebel. Her research interests include feminist theology and Mennonite peace theology, and abuse issues. She has a popular blog of her worship resources at www.leadinginworship.com.
Resistance: Violence, Power and Abuse in Peace Churches. Edited with Cameron Altaras. Elkhart, IN: Institute of Mennonite Studies, 2022.
“Dear Tara,” in On Holy Ground: Stories by and about Women in Ministry Leadership in the Mennonite Brethren Church, pp. 109-124. Winnipeg: Kindred Productions, 2022.
“Jesus and the Stories of our Lives,” Liberating the Politics of Jesus: Renewing Peace Theology Through the Wisdom of Women, edited by Elizabeth Soto Albrecht and Darryl W. Stephens (New York: Bloomsbury T & T Clark, 2020), 33-52.
“Mennonite Women Doing Theology: A Methodological Reflection on Twenty-five Years of Conferences,” Recovering from the Anabaptist Vision: New Essays in Anabaptist Identity and Theological Method, editors Laura Schmidt Roberts, Paul Martens, and Myron Penner (New York: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2020), pp. 53-76.
“Masculinity Close to Home,” in Peaceful at Heart: Anabaptist Reflections on Healthy Masculinity, edited by Don Neufeld and Steve Thomas, pp. 242-244. Elkhart: Institute of Mennonite Studies, 2019.
“Women Moving Into Ministry: A Canadian Mennonite Press Survey,” Journal of Mennonite Studies, 37 (2019): 161-180.
Every Day Worship. Harrisonburg: MennoMedia, 2018.
The Safe Zone: An Educational Series on Sexual Misconduct in Mennonite Camps. (Kitchener: Mennonite Church Eastern Canada: 2018).
“Dare to be a Danielle: Pioneering Women Leaders in the Mennonite Church” in I’ve Got the Power: Naming and Reclaiming Power as a Force for Good. Elkhart: Women in Leadership Project, 2018, pp. 27-44.
Sacred Trust…fostering safe space in congregations: A Resource for the Anabaptist Faith Community on Sexual Misconduct in the Church (40 page booklet) (Mennonite Church Eastern Canada: 2017). Also available on-line at https://mcec.ca/sacredtrust,
“Violence Against Women in the Mennonite Brethren Church: Abuse Policies are Not Enough” Direction, 45:2 (Fall 2016):192-208.
- “Spirit of God! descend upon my heart: a Mennonite Minister Reflects on the Holy Spirit” Vision 13:1 (Spring 2012):14-21.
- “After Sexual Violence: What Happens Next in the Community of Grace?” Vision 9:2 (Fall 2008):58-66.
- "I had a hammer: Reflections on Ministry in an Acute Schizophrenia Ward" The Journal of Pastoral Care and Counseling 60:3 (Fall, 2006):241-246.
- “Congregational Life after Abuse” in Spirituality and Health: Multidisciplinary Explorations, edited by Augustine Meier, Thomas St. James O’Connor and Peter Loren VanKatwyk. (Waterloo: Wilfrid Laurier University Press, 2005):73-84.
- “Not Well Known, Used Little and Needed: Canadian Chaplains’ Experiences of Published Spiritual Assessment Tools” with Thomas St. James O’Connor, Kathleen O’Neill, Grace Van Staalduinen, Elizabeth Meakes and Katherine David, Journal of Pastoral Care and Counselling 59:1 (Spring 2005):97-107.
- “How Inclusive is the Inclusive Church?” At Peace and Unafraid: Public Order, Security, and the Wisdom of the Cross, edited by Duane K. Friesen and Gerald W. Schlabach, (Scottdale, PA: Herald Press, 2005):195-210.
- Healing Waters: Churches Working to End Violence Against Women (Toronto: Women's Inter-Church Council, 2003).
- Editor, Second Mile: A Peace Journey for Congregations (Scottdale, PA & Waterloo, ON: Faith & Life Publishing, 2002).
- "Sexual Assault, Resurrection and the Healing Community" Consensus 28:2 (Fall 2002):49-60.
Fellowships and Awards:
- Canadian Mennonite University, Distinguished Alumni Award, 2013