Fire and evacuation procedures
Fire department requirements are outlined in University of Waterloo’s fire/evacuation emergency procedures poster, which are located throughout our campus including:
- Labs and studios
- Activities and workshop areas
- Near campus phones and room exits
The poster provides general instructions on:
- Fire alarm and evacuation procedures
- Fire code requirements
The fire/evacuation poster has a small map showing the building-specific location where the fire department personnel normally respond.
UWaterloo (UW) fire wardens have the following responsibilities:
- Evacuation of buildings
- Assisting those who are having difficulty
- Ensuring that any fire doors are closed
- Monitor building entrances to prevent building entry until given permission by the fire department.
UW conducts fire drills to ensure that all fire systems are working properly.
In non-fire situations threatening safety, such as building services interruption or hazardous materials spill, buildings are evacuated under direction of UW Police, fire wardens and emergency response services. The fire alarm should not be used to evacuate a building without approval.
Fire evacuation procedures
- On campus building procedures
- Non monitored building procedures
- Fire evacuation report (PDF)
- Student residence building procedures
- Online don's orientation (use your Don's userid and password)
- Fire warden assignments
- Campus fire routes
- Emergency entrances