Xuemin (Sherman) Shen is the University Professor in Electrical and Computer Engineering and specializes in wireless communications and networking. Professor Shen is a fellow of the Institute of Electronics and Electrical Engineers (IEEE), Royal Society of Canada, Canadian Academy of Engineering as well as the Engineering Institute of Canada. In addition, he is the Editor-in-Chief of IEEE Internet of Things Journal and Springer Peer-to-Peer Networking and Application.
His research focuses on wireless communication networks, including capacity analysis, mobility and radio resource management, quality-of-service provisioning, wireless/Internet interworking, network modeling, stability and performance analysis. In addition, he has been investigating and developing algorithms and protocols for wireless network security and privacy preservation. His research findings have been applied to vehicular networks, wireless body area networks and remote e-healthcare systems, wireless ad hoc and sensor networks, and smart grid.
Professor Shen received the R.A. Fessenden Award in 2019 from IEEE Canada, the James Evans Avant Garde Award in 2018 from the IEEE Vehicular Technology Society, the Joseph LoCicero Award in 2015 and the Education Award in 2017 from the IEEE Communications Society. He has also received the Excellent Graduate Supervision Award in 2006 and the Outstanding Performance Award 5 times from the University of Waterloo.
- Wireless communications and networking
- Resource allocation and mobility management
- Wireless network security and user privacy
- Connectivity and Internet of Things
- Autonomous and connected car
- Smart communities
- 1990, Doctorate, Electrical Engineering, Rutgers University
- 1987, Master of Applied Science, Electrical Engineering, Rutgers University
- 1982, Bachelor of Applied Science, Electrical Engineering, Dalian Marine University
- ECE 610 - Broadband Communication Networks
- Taught in 2021, 2023
- ECE 710 - Special Topics in Communications and Information Theory
- Taught in 2019
- ECE 715 - Wireless Communication Networks
- Taught in 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
* Only courses taught in the past 5 years are displayed.
- X. Shen, J. Gao, W. Wu, K. Lyu, M. Li, W. Zhuang, X. Li, and J. Rao, AI-assisted network-slicing based next-generation wireless networks, IEEE Open Journal of Vehicular Technology, to appear
- N. Cheng, F. Lyu, W. Quan, C. Zhou, H. He, W. Shi, and X. Shen, Space/Aerial-Assisted Computing Offloading for IoT Applications: A Learning-based Approach, IEEE Journal of Selected Areas of Communications - Special Issue on Network Softwarization & Enablers, 37(5), 1117 - 1129
- R. Ding, Y. Xu, F. Gao, X. Shen, and W. Wu, Deep Reinforcement Learning for Router Selection in Network with Heavy Traffic, IEEE Access, 7, 37109 - 37120
- K. Zhang, X. Liang, J. Ni, K. Yang, and X. Shen, Exploiting Social Network to Enhance Human-to-Human Infection Analysis Without Privacy Leakage, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, 15(4), 607 - 628
- J. Ma, N. Zhang, and X. Shen, Elastic Energy Distribution of Local Area Packetized Power Networks to Mitigate Distribution Level Load Fluctuation, IEEE Access, 6(1), 8219 - 8231
- A. Abdallah and X. Shen, A Lightweight Lattice-based Homomorphic Privacy-Preserving Data Aggregation Scheme for Smart Grid, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 9(1), 396 - 405
- N. Chen, J. Ma, M. Wang, and X. Shen, Two-Tier Energy Compensation Framework based on Mobile Vehicular Electric Storage, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 67(12), 11719 - 11732
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.