Dean of Engineering Office
Carl A. Pollock Hall (CPH) 4301
519-888-4567 ext. 32718
The Undergraduate Research Assistantships (URA) program provides undergraduate engineering students the opportunity to gain research experience by working with a faculty member to further their knowledge into their field of studies while earning $800 for the term.
- Currently registered in an Undergraduate Engineering degree program.
- Have a grade point average, GPA, of at least 80% in their previous academic term.
- Entering into a 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B, 4A or 4B academic term.
- Received approval by a faculty member to supervise a URA experience.
URA Supervisor List
The up-to-date URA Supervisor List contains information of all the faculty members who are actively looking to supervise Undergraduate Engineering students with their URA experience. It also includes information on various NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) projects that are also currently available to students.
The URA Supervisor List will continually be updated throughout the term as new information is received by the Dean's Office.
URA Application Process
- Contact a faculty member to propose a potential research assistantship with their project(s). Please see the current URA Supervisor List for some faculty contact information.
- Complete a URA application . The student is responsible for filling out PART A and the faculty member must fill out PART B.
- Fill-out and complete the personal information form for direct deposit.
- Please submit the completed URA Application form with the Bank Deposit Authorization form attached, in hard copy, to Julia Partington in the Dean of Engineering Office, CPH 4301, no later than the posted deadline for the term you are applying for.
Applications must be submitted to the Dean of Engineering Office in CPH 4301 by 4:30p.m. on Friday, September 22, 2017. in order to be considered for the Fall 2017 term.
- The Dean's Top-up of $200 is only provided to the first 60 qualified applicants. After all the spaces have been filled, it is the responsibility of the faculty member, as the student's supervisor, to fund the full $800 remuneration.
President's Research Award Program
- A URA meets the criteria of an on-campus research experience.
- To review the award program's eligibility criteria and to obtain a copy of the application, please visit the Faculty of Engineering's President's Research Award page.
- If an applicant is applying to claim this award, please complete and submit both the President's Research Award and Undergraduate Research Assistantship (URA) applications together, in hard copies, to the Dean's Office by the posted deadline.
- If a student is claiming the President's Research Award, with a value of $1500, they are not eligible to claim any of the $800.00 URA payment.
Questions? Here are some answers to frequently asked questions about the URA program.
For more information, please contact Wei-Chau Xie, URA Coordinating Professor at ext. 33988, or Julia Partington, URA Program Administrator at ext. 32718, or visit the Dean of Engineering Office in CPH 4301.