519-885-0220, ext. 24225
Office: CGUC 4203
BASc, University of Waterloo, 1994
MATS, Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary, 2000
PhD, Marquette University, 2008
Peacebuilding and social innovation, technology and ethics, and political advocacy.
PACS 302 – Special Topics: Peacebuilding and Social Innovation
PACS 315 – Engineering and Peace
PACS 490 - Special Topics in PACS: (Topic: Map the System)
PACS 620 – Special Topics in PACS: (Topic: Thinking and Working Politically)
PACS 620 - Special Topics in PACS: (Topic: Map the System)
Paul Heidebrecht Paul Heidebrecht is the inaugural director of the Kindred Credit Union Centre for Peace Advancement, and a professor who teaches courses in Peace and Conflict Studies at Conrad Grebel University College. His research is focused on the promotion of just, peaceful, and inclusive societies (Sustainable Development Goal #16). He has leveraged academic preparation and professional experience in both engineering and the humanities to help spark the emerging field of PeaceTech—generating critical insights on the social impact of technology, while using technology to augment the efforts of civil society organizations, social-purpose businesses, and governments to advance peace and justice.
- “Growing But Also Gifting: MCC as an Incubator for New Approaches to Relief, Development, and Peace.” Journal of Mennonite Studies 40/2 (2022): 131-47.
- “PeaceTech.” IEEE Technology and Society Magazine 41/3 (September 2022): 101-2.
- Special issue guest editor: “Anabaptist-Mennonite Perspectives on Technology.” Conrad Grebel Review 39/2 (Spring 2021).
- “Peacebuilding and the Norms of Technological Change.” Toda Peace Institute Policy Brief 103 (February 2021).
- “Christian Political Engagement in a New Key? Reading Ellul in Ottawa.” In Political Illusion and Reality: Engaging the Prophetic Insights of Jacques Ellul, edited by David W. Gill and David Lovekin. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2018.
- “Why ‘Silicon Valley North’ must build peace” [Op Ed]. The Record (May 28, 2018).
Scholarly and Professional Activities:
- Inaugural Director, Kindred Credit Union Centre for Peace Advancement
- Affiliated Faculty, Waterloo Artificial Intelligence Institute (2019-present)
- Member, Waterloo Innovation Ecosystem Council (2018-present)
- Convenor, University of Waterloo Social Disruptors Group (2017-present)