Dean of Engineering Office
Engineering 7 (E7), Room 7302
Direct line: 519-888-4885
Internal line: ext. 44885
In order to receive a MASc/MArch degree you must complete all of your program's degree requirements. For a complete list of your program's degree requirements you should consult the Graduate Academic Calendar for the term in which you were admitted.
Note: Collaborative programs (i.e. Nano, Water, and Quantum) may have different degree requirements than your Department’s regular MASc program.
If you have any questions regarding the degree completion process, you should contact your Program Coordinator/Advisor.
Degree Completion Deadlines
Minimum completion deadlines as well as information on holidays can be found on the degree completion deadlines page.
Thesis Guidelines on Co-Authored Content
Master's theses can take various forms. It has become common in Engineering for students to publish outcomes from their research prior to completing their degree and subsequently to incorporate some of the published material within their thesis. If you have co-authored content as part of your thesis you will need to follow these guidelines.
Steps to Completion
MArch students should consult with their Program Coordinator/Advisor and Graduate Student Handbook (pg 11-17) for procedures specific to the MArch program.
- At least one month before you intend to degree complete you will need to apply for graduation through Quest.
- Navigate to My Academics > Graduation, and select Apply for Graduation for the next convocation
- When your thesis is ready to be read, complete the MASc Thesis Submission form and return it to your Program Coordinator/Advisor who will review your committee composition
- Guidelines for selecting your thesis readers can be found on page 2 of the form
- Note: If you are going to request that your thesis be withheld from the public domain (e.g., due to patent pending issues), you must complete the Request to Restrict Circulation of the Thesis form, obtain the required signatures and submit it to your Program Coordinator/Advisor with the MASc Thesis Submission form. You should also have your supervisor and readers review and sign the Confidential Information Thesis Non-Disclosure Agreement.
- After your Program Coordinator/Advisor has reviewed and approved your MASc Thesis Submission form, you will need to give a copy of your thesis to each of your readers, and they must sign your MASc Thesis Submission Form to confirm they have received it.
- Your readers can have a soft copy of your thesis if they prefer this to a hard copy.
- An e-mail from your readers confirming they have received your thesis is an accepted substitute for their signature
- After your readers all have their copy of the thesis and have signed the MASc Thesis Submission form, a hard copy of the thesis and the MASc Thesis Submission form must be taken to the Engineering Graduate Studies Office (EGSO), where the thesis will be on display for three weeks.
- The display copy of your thesis does not need to be bound – it can be unbound, 2 sided, black and white
- It is during this three-week display period that your readers will review your thesis and prepare their feedback.
- If your program has a Seminar requirement which you have not yet completed you will need to make arrangements with your Program Coordinator/Advisor to do so as soon as possible
- Once your thesis is on display, the EGSO will send you a Department Approval of MASc Thesis form.
- After reading your thesis, your readers will provide you with feedback and revisions. Once any revisions requested have been completed to their satisfaction, take your Department Approval of MASc Thesis form to each of your readers for them to sign, indicating that they have given you their feedback and the final copy of your thesis is ready for upload to UWSpace.
- An e-mail from your readers confirming they have approved the final version of your thesis is an accepted substitute for their signature.
- You do not need to collect the display copy of your thesis from the Engineering Graduate Office. It will be sent back to your home Department
- Note: Readers must have read your thesis and provided feedback by the end of the three week display period, but time for completion of revisions is in addition to the three weeks. This means that your readers might not be signing off on your Department Approval of MASc Thesis form until a week or two after your display period has ended.
- After all of your revisions and changes have been made, your supervisor(s) needs to sign off on your final thesis at the bottom of the form.
- Once your supervisor(s) have signed off on your revisions, you return the Department Approval of MASc Thesis form to your Program Coordinator/Advisor, and they will process it and send it to the Engineering Graduate Office.
- Make sure EGSO staff know if your thesis title has changed
- When the completed Department Approval of MASc Thesis form is received by the Engineering Graduate Office, they will issue a Faculty Acceptance Notice for your thesis, which will be sent to your UW e-mail.
- You cannot upload to UWSpace until you have obtained this e-mail.
- Once you have received the Thesis Acceptance Notice from the EGSO, you can upload your final thesis to UWSpace (not before).
- If you have submitted a Request to Restrict Circulation of Thesis Form, you will have to select the thesis restriction pull down option when you are uploading to UW Space as well
- UWSpace may require you to make revisions to the formatting of your thesis, so check your UW e-mail regularly after you submit for any feedback they might send.
- Formatting guidelines for theses can be found on the GSPA website
- When your thesis has been accepted by UWSpace, you will be notified by e-mail.
- Only when your thesis has been accepted to UWSpace will you be considered done and be able to obtain a Program Completion letter from the GSPA.