Courses offered in the Faculty of Engineering place responsibility on the Faculty of Engineering, the instructor and teaching team and all of the students. Many of these responsibilities are described at the first lecture or captured in the policies of the university.

There are two responsibilities that have been specified by the Senate of the University of Waterloo as requiring special mention. One relating to the responsibility of students with respect to plagiarism and academic discipline and one relating to the teaching team with respect to students with disabilities. These two responsibilities have been expressed in specific wording by the Senate and are listed below.

All courses offered by the Faculty of Engineering subscribe to these specifications except as may be noted on the syllabus for each course.

Avoidance of academic offences

Students are expected to know what constitutes academic integrity, to avoid committing academic offences, and to take responsibility for their actions. Students who are unsure whether an action constitutes an offence, or who need help in learning how to avoid offences (e.g., plagiarism, cheating) or about "rules" for group work/collaboration should seek guidance from the course professor, TA, academic advisor, or the Undergraduate Associate Dean. The Office of Academic Integrity at the University of Waterloo maintains a website with a number of items of interest to students. In particular the page on Academic Integrity for students provides various examples as well as a tutorial on the subject. For information on categories of offences and types of penalties, students should refer to Policy 71 - Student Discipline. For typical penalties see Guidelines for the Assessment of Penalties.

Students needing special help are accommodated

Note for students with special needs: The AccessAbility Services office collaborates with all academic departments to arrange appropriate accommodations for students with disabilities without compromising the academic integrity of the curriculum. If you require academic accommodations to lessen the impact of your disability, please register with the AccessAbility Services office at the beginning of each academic term.

Students who believe that they have been wrongfully or unjustly penalized have the right to grieve; refer to Policy 70 - Student Petitions and Grievances, as well as Policy 72 - Student Appeals.