Dean of Engineering Office
Carl A. Pollock Hall (CPH) 4301
519-888-4567 ext. 32718
First year engineering and architecture sets a learning foundation to support you throughout your undergrad years and prepares you for a successful career.
But it is not all work. It's also a great time for making life-long friends (and maybe future business partners!), learning the ropes of being a university student and gaining new independence.
In year 1, all students take 5-6 courses per term, mostly based in maths and sciences, along with a concepts course focused on giving you exposure to learning in your field of study.
For Civil, Environmental and Geological Engineering
You will be automatically enrolled in all of your Fall term core courses. However, you will need to request one elective course in Quest, between July 7 and 13. View your full class schedule on Quest, starting July 23.
For all other Engineering programs
You will be automatically enrolled in all of your Fall term courses. View your full class schedule on Quest, starting July 23.
To see a list of your first-year classes, check the "first-year courses" in the pages below:
- Architectural Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Geological Engineering
- Management Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mechatronics Engineering
- Nanotechnology Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Systems Design Engineering
Not sure where to find something? Need to connect with an academic advisor? Need personal support? Want to understand more about co-op?
Every engineering and architecture student has a first-year office that has the resources to support you in every way.
First Year Office guide
- Engineering First-Year Office, for all first-year engineering students, except Systems Design Engineering, Software Engineering, and Architecture (see below).
- Located in the Engineering Undergraduate Office, Engineering 2 (E2) 1772, 519-888-4761.
- Systems Design Engineering Undergraduate Office, for all students enrolled in Systems Design Engineering.
- Located in Engineering 5 (E5) 6126, 519-888-4567, ext.36085
- Software Engineering Undergraduate Office, for all students enrolled in Software Engineering.
- Located in William G. Davis Centre (DC) 2597, 519-888-4567, ext.32184
- Architecture Undergraduate Office, for all students enrolled in Architecture.
- Located in the main office, 2nd floor of the School of Architecture, 519-888-4567, ext.27604
* Please note that we have a new Women in Engineering Living Learning Community that launched September 2017!
Orientation Week & Engineering 101
Wondering how you'll find your way around campus, make great friends, join a team, get involved, or just get a handle on what your new world is all about?
You'll definitely want to be part of Orientation Week. It is a full week set up to get you oriented and connected to your new home, new community, and open the door to tons of opportunity.
If you feel like you need some extra time on campus before school starts, Engineering 101 is for you (and your parents)!