International Students

Students working on a project together

The Government of Canada recently announced a cap on new study permits for international students for the next two years. Please note that this cap does not apply to master’s, PhD or other post-graduate students, and current study permit holders will not be affected.

An update was released on February 5, 2024, providing additional information on International Student Program reforms . Please follow the IRCC website with the Study Permit requirements.

Review the New Canadian study permit requirements news item for more details. As more information is made available, we will continue to update the news item.

International Students

The University of Waterloo is a world-renowned academic and intellectual hub. We pride ourselves for bringing in some of the world's best graduate students looking to further their careers in all aspects of engineering and beyond! 

Admission resources

Check your international grade equivalences to apply and fulfill your English requirements to apply to Graduate studies. The following academic equivalencies and requirements by location are intended as a GUIDELINE and are used as a reference for admission purposes only.

English for Academic Success (EFAS)

The official language of instruction at the University of Waterloo is English. If you are not satisfying the required English Language proficiency (ELP) scores above, explore your options with the English for Academic Success (EFAS) program.

For course-based masters applicants, you may receive conditional admission with the condition to complete EFAS. For research-based masters, you may complete EFAS in advance of applying to satisfy the ELP for admission.

By taking EFAS, you will benefit from being on-campus, immersed in the culture of the University of Waterloo while receiving additional supports and helpful tips from your student advisor including:

  • Assistance finding a graduate supervisor

  • Adjusting to the norms and expectations of Canadian academic culture.

  • Sharpening your research skills.

  • Expanding your professional and academic network.

  • and much more.

Interested in other English language and/or cultural immersion programs? Explore your options through Renison’s English Language Institute!

Funding your studies

Find scholarships, awards and sponsorship programs designed to support to finance your studies.

Study Permit 

As a Waterloo student, you will have the support of IRCC-certified immigration consultants to support you on your immigration process as an international student and your path to a postgraduation work permit, and permanent residence in Canada.

Remote video URL
Remote video URL

 International Student Information Session

Remote video URL

Pathways for Permanent Residency in Canada, Master’s and PhD Engineering programs

Remote video URL

How to Become a Professional Engineer in Ontario

Remote video URL