If you encounter a strike or labour disruption on your work term, here are some guidelines to follow.

  • Discuss the situation with your employer and student advisor
  • If you’re not a union member, ask your employer about crossing the picket line. In many cases alternate arrangements will be made.
  • If you’re a union member, speak to your union representative to find out your obligations.
  • The length and timing of the strike will determine if you get credit for the work term.
  • Payment of your wages during a labour disruption is at the decision of your employer.
  • If you experience a prolonged strike and choose to leave the job, CECA will make every effort to help find you another job, but can’t guarantee replacement employment.

Maintain constant communication with your student advisor during a labour disruption.

Co-operative Education & Career Action (CECA) will make every effort to monitor any situation that involves uWaterloo co-op students on work terms with an organization where a labour strike occurs.