What is Biostatistics?
Effective healthcare research teams need members who have strong quantitative and data-based decision making skills. Quantitative skills and statistical methods are a powerful combination and are in high demand.
Biostatistics is the only program of its kind in Canada and is offered through co-op and regular systems of study. In this program, you’ll take the same core courses as Statistics majors, with the addition of specialized upper-year courses designed specifically for Biostatistics students, including health policy, health informatics, and management.
- Available as a co-op or regular program
- There are 40 courses for this degree
- Graduate with a Bachelor of Mathematics, major in Biostatistics
- Math 135/145 - Classical Algebra
- Math 137/147 - Calculus 1
- CS 115/135/145 - Computer Science
- A communications course
- One non-math elective
- STAT 231 - Statistics
- HLTH 101 - Introduction to Health
- STAT 337 - Introduction to Biostatistics
- STAT 430 - Experimental Design
- STAT 436 - Introduction to the Analysis of Spatial Data in Health Research
Sample co-op jobs
- Research Associate, University of Waterloo
- Research Analyst, University of Waterloo
- Cancer Genome Data Analyst, Ontario Institute for Cancer Research
- Medical Research Assistant, London Health Sciences Centre
- Research Assistant, Development Research Centre of the State Council
- Bioinformatician, Peter McCallum Cancer Centre
- Biostatistician, Boston Children’s Hospital
- Senior Biostatistician, Health and Wellness Alberta
- Senior Research Officer, National Research Council of Canada
- Senior Policy Developer, Workplace Safety and Insurance Board
Besides doing homework, Marcus likes to get involved in the different types of intramural sports that the University of Waterloo has to offer - including Ultimate Frisbee! Besides intramurals, Marcus teaches guitar and plays a hand of euchre every chance that he gets.
How to apply
Apply to Mathematics for admissions consideration. If admitted, speak with an academic advisor after first year to declare Biostatistics as a major.
Find out more information on the steps to apply.