What is Data Science?
Every day, huge amounts of data are generated by business, scientific, and social activity taking place all around us. With data coming from sensors, digital images, streaming video, satellite and medical imagery, and from interactions with cloud computing, data-driven approaches to decision making are being applied in areas as diverse as medicine, business, advertising, and entertainment. To make sense of it all, you’ll take courses in computer science and statistics and learn the methods used to analyze large data sets in order to predict and improve business strategy, products and services, marketing campaigns, medicine, and public health and safety.
- Available as a co-op or regular program
- There are 40 courses for this degree
- Graduate with a Bachelor of Mathematics, major in Data Science or a Bachelor of Computer Science, major in Data Science
How the Data Science program works
At the intersection of statistics and computer science is Data Science. With this combination, you have two ways to study. You can apply to Honours Mathematics and declare it as a major after first year and/or you can apply to Computer Science and declare it as a major after first year.
Through Honours Mathematics, the Data Science major has more statistics than computer science courses. Through Computer Science, the Data Science major has more computer science than statistics courses.
- MATH 135/145 - Classical Algebra
- MATH 137/147 - Calculus 1
- CS 115/135/145 - Computer Science
- A communications course
- One non-math elective
See full courses in our undergraduate calendar:
- CS 348 - Introduction to Database Management
- CS 480 - Introduction to Machine Learning
- STAT 440 - Computational Interference
- STAT 442 - Data Visualization
- STAT 443 - Forecasting
Sample co-op jobs
- Computer Vision Researcher, Slyce
- CS 136 Instructional Support Assistant, University of Waterloo
- Data Mining Research Assistant, Simon Fraser University
- Data Scientist Intern, Facebook
- IT Solution Developer, Environics Analytics
- Statistician, Labstat International ULC
- Business Analyst
- Data Engineer
- Data Management Professional
- Data-Oriented Professional
- Machine Learning Researcher/Practitioner
Besides his classes at school, Simon enjoys traveling, music, and cooking. When cooking for his friends he enjoys creating new recipes! For example, one of his cool culinary creations was peanut-butter fried eggs.
If you're interested in Data Science, you may also be interested in these programs that offer similar courses or career opportunities:
How to apply
- Computer Science, Data Science > Apply to Computer Science for admissions consideration. If admitted, speak with an academic advisor after first year to declare Data Science as a major.
- Statistics, Data Science > Apply to Mathematics for admissions consideration. If admitted, speak with an academic advisor after first year to declare Data Science as a major.
Find out more information on the steps to apply.