What is Pure Mathematics?
Go beyond the basics and find the answers to the “how" and “why” behind the mathematics. Pure mathematics is the foundation of all mathematical reasoning. If first-year calculus teaches you how to drive the car, Pure Mathematics teaches you how to build one! You can use this program as a springboard into a career in information technology, finance, business, science, education, and insurance, or go on to graduate studies at some of the world’s most prestigious universities.
- Available as a co-op or regular program
- There are 40 courses for this degree
- Graduate with a Bachelor of Mathematics, major in Pure Mathematics
- MATH 135/145 - Classical Algebra
- MATH 137/147 - Calculus 1
- CS 115/135/145 - Computer Science
- A communications course
- One non-math elective
- MATH 239 - Introduction to Combinatorics
- PMATH 347 - Groups and Rings
- PMATH 352 - Complex Analysis
- PMATH 441 - Algebraic Number Theory
- PMATH 465 - Smooth Manifolds
Sample co-op jobs
- Business Analyst Assistant, Department of National Defence
- Data Quality Engineering, Imagine Communications Corp
- Instructional Support Assistant, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology
- Policy and Research Assistant, Natural Resources Canada
- QA Automation Developer, VersaCold Logistics Services
- Research Assistant, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Security & Distributed System Engineer, Centennial College of Applied Arts & Technology
- Data Scientist, Chango
- Data Scientist, Robinhood Financial
- Developer, geoLOGIC Systems
- Executive Director, Beijing Leyard Investment
- Quantitative Analyst, Millennium Advisors
- Software Engineer, Google
- Threat Intelligence Analyst, Ultimate Software
Not only is Alex pursuing a double major in Pure Math and Combinatorics and Optimization, he’s also putting his love of math into action. He spent a hands-on summer as a National Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) undergraduate award winner, traveled to Budapest for a term abroad, and is an active participant in on-campus events like datathons and Hack the North.
Josué is double majoring in Pure Math and Combinatorics and Optimization. He's been a member of the Math Ambassador Team for a number of years and is heavily involved at Waterloo working as a Faculty Orientation Coordinator (FOC) for Math Orientation and a MathSoc Councillor and Director. On co-op, he's worked as an Instructional Support Assistant and Undergraduate Research Assistant.
If you're interested in Pure Mathematics, you may also be interested in these programs that offer similar courses or career opportunities:
How to apply
Apply to Mathematics for admissions consideration. If admitted, speak with an academic advisor after first year to declare Pure Mathematics as a major.
Find out more information on the steps to apply.