I am pleased to announce that Mark Giesbrecht will begin a four-year term as director of the David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science on July 1. Also, Marek Stastna will be the new associate dean computing effective July 1.
Congratulations to a number of our colleagues for notable accomplishments:
- Raouf Boutaba, awarded the McNaughton Medal by the IEEE
- Rob Brown, new president of the International Actuarial Association
- Josef Paldus, elected a fellow of the American Physical Society
Math and Business student and Waterloo Warrior hockey player Colin Behenna has also distinguished himself recently, named male athlete of the week after scoring 7 points in 2 games.
Welcome to new staff member Costin Ograda-Bratu, who is working with Professor Keshav as a lab technician in the Cheriton School of Computer Science.
Over the course of this year, we’ll see big changes to the fifth floor of Mathematics & Computing Building (MC) including:
- new paint and lighting for the corridors and common areas
- a facelift for the Dean’s Colloquium Room 5158
- a common lounge for faculty, staff and graduate students in 5136
Please join us for a teaching colloquium by CMS Excellence in Teaching Award recipient Yvan Saint-Aubin of Université de Montréal: “Teaching mathematics as an outsider”.
We’re also pleased to welcome faculty colloquium speaker Francis Zwiers of the Pacific Climate Impacts Consortium at the University of Victoria. Dr. Zwiers is a statistician and math alumnus whose work has been recognized with an FRSC. He will speak on February 13, at 3:30 pm: “Observed, simulated and projected changes in indicators of climate extremes.”
Ian Goulden, Dean
Faculty of Mathematics
University of Waterloo