For any academic exchange or study abroad program, Math students must meet the following minimum requirements:
1. Year level
Students are eligible to go abroad in their third year of study or higher. Students can go on exchange in their final term of study but you should expect a delayed graduation as a result. Double degree students are eligible to study abroad in their fourth year or higher.
You must have a minimum cumulative average (CAV) of 75%, you need to be in at least good academic standing for your current major, and have a faculty average (FAV) of 70%+. We will also look at your general progress in both math and non-math courses.
3. Strong Ambassador for Math and the University of Waterloo.
As a participant in the exchange program, you will be a representative of the Faculty of Mathematics and the University of Waterloo. Unprofessional conduct or behaviour, including academic offences, which reasonably cast
s doubt on your ability to be a strong ambassador for the University of Waterloo may result in your application not being endorsed by the faculty.
4. Language requirements
Many of our host schools offer courses in English and do not require you to speak the official language of the country where you will be studying. Exceptions include some programs in France, Sweden and Spain and many programs in Germany and China. You must show your fluency in the language of instruction before you will be placed at those host schools. Note: Proficiency or fluency in the language of the country you are going to may allow you to take a wider range of courses. We encourage all students to take language courses at Waterloo before they depart if they have no background in the common language in the country where they will be studying.
Last updated: 28 January 2020.
- Students must not contact the host school on their own until they have been officially matched and nominated by UW. All correspondence and questions should be communicated through the Math Exchange office.
- Students on exchange must pay tuition for a full course load of 2.5 units and are registered as such in Quest.
- Co-op students have access to WaterlooWorks while on exchange. Note: some restrictions may apply
- Transfer credit is not granted for audited courses.