Effective July 1, I would like to welcome these new administrative leaders:
- Mark Giesbrecht, Director, Cheriton School of Computer Science
- Kathryn Hare, Chair, Department of Pure Mathematics
- Marek Stastna, Associate Dean, Computing
- Stefan Steiner, Chair, Department of Statistics & Actuarial Science
A big thank you to outgoing leaders Brian Forrest, Christiane Lemieux, Wayne Oldford and David Taylor.
Also effective July 1, I would like to congratulate these newly-promoted colleagues:
- Ihab Ilyas, Computer Science
- Mu Zhu, Statistics & Actuarial Science
- Associate Professors:
- Lilia Krivodonova, Applied Mathematics
- Pengfei Li, Statistics & Actuarial Science
- Michael Waite, Applied Mathematics
Congratulations to Penny Haxell and Javid Ali, winners of the 2014 Faculty of Mathematics Award for Distinction in Teaching.
In the most recent NSERC Discovery Grant competition, members of our Faculty were awarded five of the University's nine NSERC Discovery Accelerator Supplements. Congratulations to Ihab Ilyas, Ondrej Lhotak, Tamer Ozsu, John Watrous (Computer Science) and William Cook (Combinatorics and Optimization).
Our Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science is home to three new fellows of the American Statistical Association: Yulia Gel, Stefan Steiner, and Changbao Wu. The work of newer faculty members Bin Li and Fan Yang was also recognized recently at the Eighth Conference in Actuarial Science and Finance on Samos.
PhD graduate Nancy Soontiens (Applied Mathematics) and PhD candidate Laura Inozemtseva (Computer Science) were recognized recently for their outstanding work.
The Society of Actuaries designation of our Department of Statistics & Actuarial Science as a Center of Actuarial Excellence has been renewed for another five years.
Please mark your calendars for these upcoming events in July:
Keep up with all of the fun through our Faculty of Mathematics social media channels:
Ian Goulden, Dean
Faculty of Mathematics
University of Waterloo